The Emergency Rental Assistance and Utilities Program is for households that have lost income at any time due to Covid-19.
To qualify for rent and utility assistance, applicants should meet the following qualifications:
- Be a Hawai’i Island resident
- At least 18 years old
- Experience financial hardship due to COVID-19, and
- 2020 or current annual gross household income at or below 80% of area median income for the number of members in their household. See chart above right to determine if your household income qualifies.
ERAP will give priority households at or below 50% of area median income with household members who have been unemployed for 90 days preceding the date of the application.
Applicants will be required to submit the following documents with their applications starting April 12th to be considered for rent or utility assistance:
Proof of Resident and Age for Applicant for all income earners
- Copy of photo ID
- OR Hawaii County Voter’s Registration (if no photo ID)
Income Documents for ALL household members (provide all that apply)
- 1040 Federal Tax Form for 2020 (preferred)
- 30 days most recent pay stubs
- 2 months most recent business bank statements (if self-employed)
- Unemployment or Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) benefit letter
- Public benefit statements
- Copy of rental lease/contract (all pages)
Proof of Hardship (provide 1 of the following)
- 30 days of paystubs for February 2020
- Unemployment or PUA approval letter
- Letter from employer verifying job loss or reduced work hours
- Business bank statements for January and February 2020 (if self-employed)
Housing Assistance Need (provide 1 of the following)
- Past due rent notice
- Eviction notice
- Past due utility notice
Downloadable ERAP Documents:
Contact email@example.com or call (808)965-5550 ex 3 for more information.