Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) Requirements
The ERA program assists Hawai’i island households that are unable to pay rent and/or utilities. If you need assistance with applying or would like to apply in person, please call 808-965-5550 to schedule an appointment.
Eligible renter households are those with incomes of no more than 80% of area median income (AMI) and are Hawai’i island residents, who also meet the following conditions:
- Priority is given to households with incomes of no more than 50% of AMI as well as to households in which one or more household members were unemployed for 90 days prior to application.
- One or more individuals in the household has qualified for unemployment benefits or experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship due, directly or indirectly, to the coronavirus outbreak; and
- One or more individuals in the household can demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability. This may include a past due rental or utility notice, an eviction notice, unsafe or unhealthy living conditions (such as overcrowding) or any other evidence of risk.
Rental assistance provided to an eligible household should not be duplicative of any other federally funded rental assistance provided to such household.
Assistance can be used to pay for:
- Rental arrears and future rent payments
- Delinquent utility and home energy payments
To qualify for rent assistance, applicants should meet the following qualifications and have all required documentation:
- Be a Hawai’i island resident
- At least 18 years old
- 2021 or current annual gross household income at or below 80% of area median income for the number of members in their household. See chart below to determine if your household income qualifies. If your annual income is higher than the level listed for your family size, please do not apply, as the application will be disapproved.
Applicants will be required to submit the following documents with their applications to be considered for rent assistance:
Proof of Residency and Age for Applicant & ALL income earners
- Copy of photo ID (preferred)
- OR Hawaii County Voter’s Registration (if no photo ID)
Income Documents for ALL household members (provide all that apply)
- 1040 Federal Tax Form for 2021 (preferred)
- 30 days most recent pay stubs
- 2 months most recent business bank statements (if self-employed)
- Unemployment or Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) benefit letter
- Public benefit statements
- Copy of rental lease/contract (all pages)
Housing Assistance Need (provide 1 of the following)
- Past due rent notice
- Eviction notice
- Past due utility notice
Downloadable ERAP Documents:
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (808) 965-5550 for more information. If you need assistance applying or would like to apply in person, please call to schedule an appointment. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm.